TERNET is a network of Tanzania higher education and research institutions aiming at providing network infrastructure and associated services for enabling sharing of education and research resources inside and outside the country. TERNET was formally registered as a Trust on 11th April 2008 and on 18th April 2008 it became member of UbuntuNet Alliance, a registered non-profit association of National Research and Education Networks (NRENs) in Eastern and Southern Africa. TERNET membership is open to higher education and research institutions in Tanzania.
- To provide affordable and reliable broadband connectivity to member institutions and be the preferred network for HERIs.
- To enable education and research institutions to exploit their full potential using ICTs through collective bargaining and sharing of resources.
The following are the objectives for the establishment of TERNET
- To establish a sustainable and high capacity network infrastructure connecting educational and research institutions in Tanzania
- To increase the usage of the computer as a tool that stimulates the creativity, critical analysis, the divergent thoughts, the expressive capacity and problems resolution.
- To enable Tanzania students to construct their own knowledge as they learn and to develop skills necessary in the highly technological modern society
- To establish a human resource base of highly qualified people that will increase the country’s international competence and its successful participation in the globalization process.
- To support the establishment and sharing of teaching and learning resources among educational and research institutions in and outside Tanzania.
- To enable linkages with and among various economic sectors that can leverage national development.